2007-04-29

Friends in High Places


The Post Chronicle reported today that:
Actor Jeff Goldblum wasn't worried when he encountered immigration problems entering Israel, because he knew he could call on the country's consul general to give him a helping hand.

The Independence Day star encountered trouble when he was told there was a problem with his passport, meaning he wouldn't be able to travel from America to Israel.

But after making a few calls, Goldblum was joined by the consul general himself in less than 10 minutes.

He says, "In 10 minutes, the consul was there with me. We go back up to the desk. The consul general said, 'Here is my stamp. Jeff can go any place he wants.'

"I didn't want to say I told you so, but I was inwardly pleased."
(c) WENN


What is funny about this "news" story is that I distinctly recall seeing Jeff on David Letterman back in March, just before the premiere of Raines, and this was the anecdote he chose to tell. Unfortunately it kind of fell flat as a talkshow subject (there was no real punchline); but it is comforting to know that when Jeff takes me on a round-the-world trip some day we'll be able to rub elbows with high-ranking government officials and schmooze our way through customs, even with nearly-expired passports.

No comments: